Sunday 15 September 2013

A Breadcrumb Trail of Clues (part 3)

We had discussed the case into the night, planning every possible eventuality till our brains hurt and we needed sleep. By the time we awoke I found Robin lying in the window seat where I usually sat down with a good book. I walked down the spiral staircase, I was already dressed as I had slept in my clothes, and retreived some letters and the loaf from the factory across the road from the bank. I walked back up yawning and placed the letters and the loaf on the bar at the back of the room. I walked behind the bar and searched for something I had been given along time ago for such an occasion. Retreiving the cow bell from under the table, I crept up to Robin and whispered in her ear, "It's time to get up Robin."
She groaned and turned over. I pulled up the bell and put it milimeters away from her ear, shaking it. She jumped up and looked around then scowled at me. "Just my luck to have an absolute devil for a partner!"
I laughed and ran back to the bar, pulling out some butter and a knife, "Do you want it toasted?" I asked as she yawned and walked over.
"Yes, thanks. Look I was thinking, this case doesn't make sense. I can guess how they've done it but I just can't crack why?"
I buttered our toast and I sat across the bar from her on a stool. "Exactly! Presumably there must be some sort of remote control thing that sets the alarm off but it doesn't make sense. Why would you want to do that. If, for example, you were planning on making them believe the system was broke so when they heard it they wouldn't come instantly then ok but that has to be the most stupid plan in existence."
"Pass me the jam."
"There you go."
"Thanks."
"Anyway, if you did that you're risking the possibilities of them adding even more alarms and security, it just seems pointless."
"Aye it does. How about you call Lodders and ask him what he thinks."
"Later. I think we need to go back."
"Why"
"Because I want to go and get some biscuits. If they're half  as good as this bread then it'll be worth it."
So we finished the toast and hurried to the car, driving to the biscuit factory. When we arrived, I pulled the car over and noted the policeman who had been attempting to drill into the cell were now filling there hole in. I walked over, "Find anything?"
"Nothing. This is the most baffling case I've ever worked on."
"Well I'm sure you'll make a break through at some point or another."
Me and Robin walked across the road and entered the factory. The same man was behind the counter and he looked bored at the best. "Hello. Here to cancel your order?"
"No. I wondered whether I could buy some biscuits." I replied.
"I don't see why not. Could I interest you in a tour of the building?"
"No thanks."
"You get free food."
"Count us in."
A couple of seconds later we were being led around the factory by an over enthusiastic tour guide. "And here you can see some state of the art ovens-" he would say,
Or, "This is where we can find the batter."
Or, "Should you want extra chocolate chips in your biscuits..."
But the one thing I and Robin loved to here was, "And now you can test these free samples."
After eating almost every variety of baked good in the whole of Scotland, we approached the area where they cooked the food for the morning delivery service. The tour guide looked at us and spoke, "The ovens here are so strong that you have to start them several hours in advance and when combined with our long lasting recipes, it can take up to nine hours to get all the orders sorted. For that reason- combined with our promise of delivering at seven thirty- we must start the process at about nine to ten o clock at night. The ovens have been known to emit microwaves though which sometimes can interfere with different signalling devices. Come on. More samples this way."
But samples weren't on our minds. Because we'd just worked out the answer to one of the most baffling cases I'd worked on. And it was an alarming breakthrough indeed. (See what I did there?)

No comments:

Post a Comment