Tuesday 2 July 2013

Scarlett (part 4)

I started to dress the floor with cloth as Little John found a large circle of wood which he put on top of the table. He pushed a nail through the wooden circle's hole. It broke through and suspended the table top on the barrel. My uncle was out, gathering food, and it was just me and Little John in our new lodgings. I could feel a banging on our floor, it would seem some people were fighting beneath.  After I finished laying the cloth, I relit some of the candles which had blown out. Then I opened a chest and put my weapons into it. I was just about to sit down on one of the bar stools when Little John threw a cauldron at me. "Go fill this with water."
I took it and headed down to the Fountain Abbey, so called because it was a fountain where religious sermons took place. It was the best place to get clean water for free in the whole of the Sherwood estate.
I dropped my cauldron in, pulled it out and walked back to the attics. Walking up the rickety metal stair case to the side, carefully making sure not to allow the water to splosh over the sides, I looked out at the Nottingham bank. I was surprised when I saw a man in a raggedy cloth standing to the side of the building, accepting a file from a woman who was there with him. The man jumped down as another gentlemen came to join the woman. How strange!
I carried on up to the top and spoke to Little John as he put the cauldron over a fire place. I was just about to tell him what I had seen when Robin ran in.
"Hey Robin you'll never believe what I  just sa-" I noticed the file in his hand and the raggedy cloth he wore. "Oh."
"I've got some food. Make me a soup will you Little John, as I have a guest coming." He handed him some food.
"Who's the guest?"
"The lady who gave me this file. She is the head maid in Nottingham bank."
"I'd like to meet her." He replied.
"Well say hello!" Robin gestured to the door where a women wearing a typical maids outfit was waiting.
"Say hello to Miss  Marion!"

Scarlett will return.
"Funny you should sk.

1 comment:

  1. This story always makes me smile. Fountain Abbey...

    ReplyDelete